Me? A writer?

 2019 …  a hockey buddy said,

"you've played hockey with everybody, why don't you write about it”. 

Me? A writer?


It sounded like an interesting challenge.
I thought I could write 500 words on that hockey subject. 
So, in April 2019, I began. 


One hockey player or hockey occasion reminded me of another and when I finished,
my computer was able to give me a word count for my very first essay.

It totalled 13,000 words, not 500 and it's titled "Hockey Rules ... not the rules"


I've really enjoyed the experience and received lots of encouragement from readers to do more. I guessed I might have 20 more stories in me and a Florida friend/computer wizard suggested I post my nonsense on something called a blog.





I thought some of the personal meetings I've had with famous people may be interesting and I should include them. Cito Gaston, "Rocket" Richard, Shania, and Ted Lindsay, Roger Clemens and Bill Cosby, Sinatra and Belafonte, Don Cherry and Boom Boom Geoffrion became subjects of other essays.


I copied each one and placed them into our time capsule for my grandchildren ... thinking their grandchildren might like to know a little about me and go backstage with some fabulous sports and entertainment celebrities of our era.

My blogging app has a tracking system to let me know where my blog readers originate -- where only -- readers are not identified by name. So, I've somehow acquired readers in Egypt, Columbia, The Netherlands, Mexico, Thailand, France, Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Australia, and all over North America.

 

This week, with the publishing of my most recent blog piece 

"The best NHL players -- by position


I have now published a total of 54 stories.



.             Thanks for reading my stuff! 


When I started, I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to have 500 people read the stories on my blog". Today, my blog readership hit the 14,400 reader mark.


                                                         About These Photos:


I've included these photos in my essays. All of the celebrities featured volunteered to pose. The portraits were taken by fabulous Canadian portrait photographer, Kevin Birch. Once they were museum framed by sensational framing artist, Dean Storey, they were put on sale at auctions across Canada with the proceeds going to support the 30,000 athletes of Special Olympics Canada. The SOC photo catalogue including those here have raised more than $300,000 for the charity.




I'm getting to the end of my storytelling. The well is looking a little dry. I think I may have 2 more stories in me. Thanks for your encouragement. and Thanks for your feedback. This turned into a great hobby!


My first blog essay, "Hockey Rules ... not the rules"

continues to be the piece that's received the most attention. However, I've included a list below of some subjects that may have passed you by.  If interested, all you have to do is click on the heading and you'll be taken directly to the story.


Twilight Zone Moment


Phil Collins


Don’t Slide into Second


Don Cherry & Shania Twain


Rod Stewart


Face to Face in the Shower


California - Hollywood or Bust


Hating Les Canadiens Comes Easy To Me


When a Goalie Dies ... Call the Elvis Priest


Holiday in Rome


Boom Boom - He Invented the Slap Shot


The Miracle of Herb Score


The World’s Most Fascinating Criminal


Sinatra, Chairman of the Board, Mister "S"


Comments

  1. Enjoy reading what you post Mike. Great content, concise and unique perspective.
    Similar to watching you on the ice quarterbacking the play. Always right on the mark
    👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things must come to an end...
    I've enjoyed everything I've read Michael.
    See you at the rink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to stop. You have tons of time to write. It must be -2F in Toronto and you don't have a dog to walk, soo get busy typing. Fill your boots man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment