The "Sure Thing"

Woodbine racetrack opened in downtown Toronto in 1874.

In 1963, it was renamed Greenwood race track and featured both harness & thoroughbred racing.



One afternoon, I got a call from my next-door neighbour, Ron, ... "we're going to Greenwood tonight,     I've got an insider tip on a horse that's going to win easily and he'll go off at great odds".

Ron had worked for the Jockey Club for years and was a senior official working alongside former Toronto Maple Leaf captain, Ted "Teeder" Kennedy who'd been a track steward since his hockey retirement. Ron repeated, "My lawyer friend has a trotter running in tonight's 5th race and says he can't lose"

"Sure Thing" ... the myth:

Leo Cahill
People who claim a "sure thing" are legion. We all may say those words from time to time. However, there are occasions when that statement can become a thing of legend. One of the most famous "sure things" was uttered by Toronto Argonaut Football Club coach, Leo Cahill - the very same Leo who was the main character in my most recent essay with Elvis.

His Argos needed one win to advance to the league championship game.

The Toronto team was stacked with all-stars who played with a swagger -- and a chip on their shoulder. Prior to the game, Leo was asked how he thought his team would do.

He said, "only an act of God can stop us now"!

God apparently enjoyed that challenge and the Argos were easily defeated.
Leo calling on some divine intervention


But, back to Ron and his fabulous insider information.

"We gotta go" he insisted. He was so excited, how could I say no? He told me we'd drive downtown in one car and a friend of his, Canada's most famous, most successful thoroughbred jockey, Sandy Hawley, was joining us. Very cool. A legitimate horse racing expert on our side.

I got to the bank just before closing and withdrew two, crisp, freshly minted one hundred dollar bills (keep in mind it's 1980). I'd bet $100 to WIN and, for a little insurance, I'd bet the other hundred to PLACE just in case something strange happened. How could I lose?

Admission to the track was free. A welcomed touch so as not to interfere with my wagering money. We Three Amigos strutted through the Queen Street front doors at the beginning of the 3rd race. We were full of whatever that thing is - when you know something nobody else knows. I had to stop myself from betting on the 3rd and 4th races, I didn't want them to interfere with my bets and much bigger expected payout on the 5th race.

The three of us hung over the rail at ground level right at the Finish Line waiting for our race to start.

While we killed time, a guy showed up right behind us.

He was leaning on the wall for support. He appeared to have had several beverages earlier in the day and they hadn't worn off yet. He suddenly screamed out "I got the winner in the 5th race ... it's number 2 ... but I need someone to match my one dollar and share a $2 WIN ticket".

I scrambled to check the program for the number of "our sure thing".

It was #6. Not the phantom bettor's #2.

While Ron and Sandy were laughing at the guy, he repeated his offer ... "it's going to be number two who wins".

As the horses and buggies made their way onto the track for introductions he yelled even louder at the driver of the 2-horse - he knew the guy's name and assured him ... "it's in the bag".

"The Amigos" went to the betting windows.

Ron had worked at the track for so many years he knew betting meant financial ruin for so many track employees that he never, ever bet. This night was special and very unusual for him - a further indicator of the allure of a "sure thing". I didn't see how much he bet on our horse but the determined look on his face confirmed it was a solid wager.

Sandy surprised me. He was in the line beside me. We each reached our ticket sellers at the same time. I glanced over as he pulled out a huge roll of bills that were held together with an elastic band and promptly snapped off two one-dollar bills and asked for a two dollar WIN ticket on #6.

What! Two dollars! That's it?

Sandy Hawley
Over the 31 year Horse Racing Hall of Fame career, Sandy had earned 10% of the purse for each of the 6450 races he'd won and also got paid for his 4500 second place finishes. He understood the value of a buck and clearly didn't like parting with his money foolishly (like some people).

Anyways, I was only distracted by him for a moment.

My bets were considerably bigger and my mouth was dry. I went looking for a cold beer. Then, I folded my winning tickets safely into the back of my wallet and headed back outside to our Finish Line position ... 3 MINUTES flashed the infield sign ... 3 MINUTES till the 5th race.

On cue, our un-welcomed neighbour yelled again, "Can't anybody give me one dollar to bet on the number 2 horse? Just a dollar"

                                                                                                       I won't drag out the drama of a horse race like they do in the movies. Our "sure thing", number 6, was never in it.

The other horses knew there would be an ice cold hose shower and big bag of oats waiting for them when they finished - they seemed motivated. Our guy didn't seem to care.

70 yards to the finish, our horse was near the back while four horses had charged to the front and were neck and neck at the head of the pack but the #2 horse split the middle of them and won by a length.

There was a huge grandstand roar when that #2 horse thundered across the finish line. Then, dead silence. The number 2 horse, with odds of 90 - 1 finished first and, understandably, nobody in the crowd seemed to have a winning ticket.


Just then, in the hollow silence of that grandstand, one lonely, plaintive voice echoed loud and clear ... "I told you he'd win"!

More Racetrack nonsense: Later that year, on a very blustery, November, overcast day, I went to my kid's school and took them out of class to have lunch with me at the aforementioned Greenwood racetrack. It wasn't a special occasion -- I just thought it was a cool thing to do. Coincidentally, it also happened to be Grey Cup week with the CFL championship game being played in a few days and, I was with the sports publishing group that produced Grey Cup Magazine.

Another strange coincidence ... there was a horse scheduled to run that day named "Lord Grey" and, to add to the drama, the jockey for this race would be the winningest jockey of all time, Sandy Hawley.

I couldn't bet on it. The morning betting line had it listed at 50 to 1. It didn't have a chance.

When the race started and the 10 horses raced past the grandstand for the first time, Hawley, on "Lord Grey", was sitting 10th. I smiled as he thundered by me.

Sandy ... heading for home on Lord Grey

Then, I watched as Hawley slowly, methodically, scientifically, athletically moved his horse up in the pack as the track announcer's voice became louder as the jockey did his thing.







Unfortunately, for me, Lord Grey with Hawley up, won by a nose. I sat motionless, stunned.

Wouldn't you just bet on the horse because of the Grey Cup connection? 
Wouldn't you just bet on the horse because you knew the jockey?

Ya. I thought you'd say that.

A Horsey Fun Fact ...

One hundred years ago, there was only one dictionary definition for the word, "upset". It referred to a condition ... "I'm not feeling well, my stomach is upset."

At the same time in history, the most successful race horse, maybe all time was Man O' War. He'd won 20 straight races - but lost his 21st race to a horse named ... "Upset".

Man O War

That's the moment the definition of the word changed to include a sports reference ... as in, "the first place home team was upset by the visitors last night at the arena".

I've got a million of em!

Comments

  1. Sandy is a great athlete, I was golfing with him one day in a scramble and he decides that if could put a little draw on my drive I’d hit the green. But I didn’t have a clue how to hit a draw so he gave me a quick lesson and lo and behold I drove the green. Thanks Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific story Mike - and great writing too!

      Delete
  3. Man, you put us on the rail with you, Mike!
    Terrific story with great nuggets of wisdom. $200 was a lot to lose back then. And thanks for the Man of War facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Mike. You really know how to tell a story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment