Having grown up in Detroit, we were able to pick up the Windsor station that had Hockey Night in Canada. Was my dad’s favorite and therefore was mine too.
That video is a golden nugget!! Saturday nights in cold western Canada were always spent adjusting the rabbit ears on the tv for the best possible reception!!
Thank you for forwarding the HNIC clip...it sure brought back memories. When I think of HNIC, I think of having a quick bath and jumping into my pyjamas and running downstairs to watch the hockey game with my Mother and my brothers. The Hood article and the HNIC article only go to suggest ( is that a word ?) in my mind your need to put your hockey memories and the people you met in a book.For old hockey freaks like me it would be a great gift.
The end of an era indeed.... had those same memories as many on the video had mentioned. My mom had a wooden spoon with a flat handle...I had a little wooden puck about the size of a bottle cap (for my table top hockey game)...while watching the game I would shoot the little puck against the baseboards and it would bounce back at me and I would attempt to save it. Must have drove my parents crazy!!! But that is what my Saturday nights were. CBC almost bankrupted the CFL, guess it's time for them to move on from hockey too. The salary cap is a rising!!
Ward Cornell was interviewing Gordie Howe when he said to him, Gordy, a lot of the players in the league think you’re pretty dirty what do you have to say about that. Gordy thought about it for a number of seconds, and said, well, you know Ward, it’s a man’s game. Ward was speechless!
Fantastic video and a great story. I guess hanging around all those journalists all those years turned you into a terrific author. And I do remember those games coming on at 8:30 which killed me because I was young and the first period was almost over. Well done. B
All great stuff, Mike. Thank you for this…time for a revisit to the Hockey Hall of Fame soon….it’s been a while. I remember taking my parents when they were down from the Sault visiting one year. It brought a tear to my eye then…probably will again…
Thanks for the great memories!
ReplyDeleteHaving grown up in Detroit, we were able to pick up the Windsor station that had Hockey Night in Canada. Was my dad’s favorite and therefore was mine too.
ReplyDeleteThat video is a golden nugget!! Saturday nights in cold western Canada were always spent adjusting the rabbit ears on the tv for the best possible reception!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much . It was great
ReplyDeleteCertainly worth watching again!!
ReplyDeleteGreat video!! Thanks again. I love these!!!
ReplyDeleteWow! Hits home. Thanks for sending.
ReplyDeleteMike,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! It opened up a wellspring of memories and emotions.
Thanks,
I had not seen that. It is so true everyone I knew watched HNIC.
ReplyDeleteI still get upset with the new schedule when Toronto doesn’t play on Saturday evening.
Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely loved this!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for forwarding the HNIC clip...it sure brought back memories.
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of HNIC, I think of having a quick bath and jumping into my pyjamas and running downstairs to watch the hockey game with my Mother and my brothers.
The Hood article and the HNIC article only go to suggest ( is that a word ?) in my mind your need to put your hockey memories and the people you met in a book.For old hockey freaks like me it would be a great gift.
The end of an era indeed.... had those same memories as many on the video had mentioned. My mom had a wooden spoon with a flat handle...I had a little wooden puck about the size of a bottle cap (for my table top hockey game)...while watching the game I would shoot the little puck against the baseboards and it would bounce back at me and I would attempt to save it. Must have drove my parents crazy!!! But that is what my Saturday nights were. CBC almost bankrupted the CFL, guess it's time for them to move on from hockey too. The salary cap is a rising!!
ReplyDeleteMuch preferred hockey back in day more than I do now.Hockey night in Canada won’t be missed by today’s fan.Just the old timers.
ReplyDeleteWard Cornell was interviewing Gordie Howe when he said to him, Gordy, a lot of the players in the league think you’re pretty dirty what do you have to say about that. Gordy thought about it for a number of seconds, and said, well, you know Ward, it’s a man’s game. Ward was speechless!
ReplyDeleteIt made me want to play in the NHL Hank Nowak
ReplyDeleteFantastic video and a great story.
ReplyDeleteI guess hanging around all those journalists all those years turned you into a terrific author.
And I do remember those games coming on at 8:30 which killed me because I was young and the first period was almost over. Well done. B
Great Job Mike ! Great article and video
ReplyDeleteGreat memories!Nothing like a HNIC Saturday evening after being on the ice all day at the outdoor rinks!
ReplyDeleteAll great stuff, Mike.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this…time for a revisit to the Hockey Hall of Fame soon….it’s been a while.
I remember taking my parents when they were down from the Sault visiting one year.
It brought a tear to my eye then…probably will again…